History of the department
The history of the Department of Algebra and Geometry of the Faculty of Science of Palacký University follows a long-term tradition of the tuition of Mathematics which began as early as at the Jesuit University of Olomouc back in 1579.
The first institution established after the renewal of the university in Olomouc in 1946 was the Institute of Mathematics at the Faculty of Pedagogy and Science Biennium; later in 1952, the Department of Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry at the Faculty of Pedagogy of Palacký University was established. In 1953, an independent Department of Mathematics led by Prof. J. Metelka was established at the newly founded Institute of Pedagogy. After the Faculty of Science of Palacký University was established, was divided into Departments of Algebra Geometry, Mathematical Analysis and Methodology of Mathematics, and Elementary Mathematics. The Department of Theoretical Cybernetics and Mathematical Informatics was separated from the Department of Algebra and Geometry in the 1970s; on the contrary, the Department of Methodology of Mathematics and Elementary Mathematics became its part back in 1989.
At present, the Department of Algebra and Geometry at the Faculty of Science of Palacký University guarantees a Bachelor and subsequent Master Programme of study in Mathematics and analogical forms of studies of descriptive geometry. Moreover, the Department ensures Bachelor and Follow Up Master Programme in Discrete Mathematics; last but not least, the Department provides an accredited Doctoral Programme with the opportunity to defend the thesis in the specializations of Algebra and Geometry Didactics of Mathematics.