Why study mathematics?
Mathematics is the basis on which all-natural sciences, technical sciences, and social sciences can be built. The study of mathematics is primarily aimed at acquiring mathematical ways of thinking, thanks to which you can not only design a mathematical description of specific situations but also find and understand the context between the facts from various fields of science and human activity. Mathematics is not just calculations or derivation of formulas…
The reasons to study mathematics at our department can be the following:
- six decades of tradition of preparation of mathematicians focused on algebra, geometry, and teaching of mathematics
- Scientific activities focused on disciplines taught fields - teaching enriched with current scientific knowledge
- a favorable ratio of students per academic worker - an individual approach to students
- linking theoretical teaching with applications in other areas of human knowledge
- possibility to engage in scientific research
- teaching with the support of ICT components
- rich representation of the pedagogical practice of different types (for education programs)
- large offer of optional subjects - an adaptation of studies to listeners' interests
- good employment in the labor market
Palacký University in Olomouc is the date of its foundation (1573) the second oldest university in the Czech Republic and the tradition of teaching mathematics is equally old. In addition to its studies, it offers students quality facilities (libraries, study rooms, and information centers). The city of Olomouc itself is interesting in that about 20% of its population is UP students (one of the highest shares in the Czech Republic) and can meet their needs and interests.
The Department of Algebra and Geometry guarantees the bachelor's three-year study fields:
- Mathematics - only full-time form
- Mathematics focusing on Maior education (full-time as well as combined form)
- Descriptive geometry focusing on Maior education (full-time as well as combined form)
The three bachelor study fields are followed by a master's two-year study fields:
- Discreet mathematics - only on -on-time form
- Teaching Descriptive Geometry for Maior Secondary School (full-time as well as combined form)
- Teaching Descriptive Geometry for Secondary School (single -subject) - only as a supplement to the APBOOD for already graduated teachers, only a combined form
- Teaching Descriptive Geometry for Secondary School (single -subject) only in combined form as complementing the APBOOD for graduated teachers
- Mathematics teaching for Maior secondary school - present form as well as part-time
- Mathematics teaching for secondary schools - only as a supplement to the APBOOD for already graduated teachers, only a combined form
In addition, it is the opportunity to complete the doctoral (Ph.D.) study in the Mathematics program, specifically the fields:
- Algebra and Geometry (full-time as well as combined form) - offers specialization in the field of arranged algebraic structures or in differential geometry
- Algebra and Geometry (full-time) - in English Language
- Didactics of mathematics (full-time as well as combined form) - focused on obtaining the ability of independent scientific work in the theory of teaching mathematics. Takes place under the guidance of a supervisor actively scientifically active in the field
The theme of the dissertation is selected by the applicant from the list of the topics of the dissertation, which is offered when he is submitted.
The Department of Algebra and Geometry is currently provided by the APPLICATIONS MATHEMATICS AND Descriptive Geometry in the Bachelor and Master's Study Programs of Teaching General Educational Subjects for Secondary Schools.
It is currently possible to study in full -time mathematics together with the following subjects
- biology and environmental education
- descriptive geometry
- Geology and Environmental Protection for Education
- Informatics for education
- English Philology (in cooperation with the Faculty of Arts)
- French Philology (in cooperation with the Faculty of Arts)
- Russian Philology (in cooperation with the Faculty of Arts)
- Physical Education (in cooperation with the Faculty of Physical Culture)
- Music culture focusing on education (in cooperation with the Faculty of Education)
- History focusing on education (in cooperation with the Faculty of Education or Faculty of Arts)
In a combined form, you can study mathematics along with the following subjects
- descriptive geometry
- Physics (only the follow-up study)
Other faculty and intermediate combinations with mathematics are not excluded. With questions about specific combinations of fields of study, you can contact the Faculty of Science of the Faculty of Science.
The bachelor's degree in mathematics for double -abortion is part of the study program Mathematics. The study plans of the field of mathematics include both subjects concerning the foundations of algebra, geometry, and mathematical analysis, as well as subjects related to school practice.
Graduates will acquire the knowledge of the foundations of algebra, analytical and design geometry, mathematical analysis, and skills of their practical application in solving tasks, learn to work with the professional literature, and separately process the assigned professional topic. They will also become acquainted with the basics of pedagogical-psychological disciplines, graduates will be acquainted with the foundations of higher mathematics, and will be prepared to continue in the study of the follow-up master's degree field.
The study is double-subject, see possible combinations of fields of study.
Descriptive geometry (Teaching)
The bachelor's degree field of descriptive geometry for two-subject studies is part of the study program Mathematics. The study of this field will enable the development of spatial imagination and control of basic types of imaging methods. Students in this field will also learn in detail with modern software focused on imaging methods and their applications.
Graduates will acquire knowledge from imaging methods and become acquainted with their application in solving tasks and in technical practice. When applying imaging methods, they gain practice in CAD use and acquire the basics of typography and graphic editors. They will be familiar with the basics of graphic design and 3D modeling. Graduates will also be familiar with the basics of pedagogical-psychological disciplines and will be ready to continue studying for the follow-up master's degree.
The study is a two-subject, combined M-DG (DG-Geography).
The content of the bachelor program in discrete mathematics consists of objects to obtain the general foundations of mathematical disciplines, which are complemented by the basics of discrete mathematics. In addition, students will learn to work with the necessary mathematical software that is usable in wide practice.
The graduate is equipped with a wider knowledge of basic mathematical disciplines (algebra, geometry, mathematical analysis) and special mathematical disciplines (basics of combinatorics, graphs and networks, vending machines, linear programming, etc.) discreet mathematics. It also acquires the ability to use mathematical software in studying and in practice. The graduate has developed abstract thinking necessary for the creative approach in the formulation and solving of practical problems. It is ready to continue in the follow-up master's degree, for work in professions requiring the necessary mathematics and computer work knowledge.