Granting associate or full professorship
Proceedings to grant associate or full professorship at the Faculty of Science of the Palacký University Olomouc are regulated by Sections 30, 71 - 75 of Act No. 111/1998 Sb., on higher edudation institutions and on the amendment and modification of other acts (the Higher Education Act) and the internal standards of the university:
- Code of Procedure to Grant Associate or Full Professorships at Palacký University Olomouc
- Criteria and requirements for the procedure to grant associate or full professorship at Palacký University Olomouc (document in Czech)
The title of Associate Professor is awarded to a university lecturer on the basis of the procedure to grant associate professorship (sometimes called habilitation procedure). Associate Professors are appointed by the Rector of Palacký University. There are a few prerequisites for granting the status of an Associate Professor, i.e. a successful defense of the associate professor thesis before a board, presenting an associate professor lecture, and other requirements, such as quotes and articles in professional journals and scientific experience.
Professor is the highest academic degree at a university. The title of a university professor is awarded to an associate professor who is a recognized scientific or artistic personality in his/her respective field and who successfully meets the conditions for the appointment of a professor. A proposal for appointing a professor is assessed by the Scholarly Board of the faculty, followed by the Palacký University Scholarly Board. Professors, upon the proposal of the Rector, are appointed by the President of the Czech Republic.
Fields of procedure to grant associate and full professorship accredited for the Faculty of Science are given in the following table.
|Study field||Accreditation of procedure to grant associate professorship valid through||Accreditation of procedure to grant full professorship valid through|
|Algebra and Geometry||1 October 2033||1 October 2033|
|Mathematical Analysis||1 November 2023||1 November 2023|
|Biochemistry||20 December 2032||20 December 2032|
|Analytical Chemistry||1 November 2023||1 November 2023|
|Inorganic Chemistry||31 December 2023||31 December 2023|
|Physical Chemistry||17 September 2029||17 September 2029|
|Organic Chemistry||17 July 2030||17 July 2030|
|Botany||17 September 2029||17 September 2029|
|Zoology||17 September 2029||17 September 2029|
|Molecular and Cell Biology||18 July 2033||18 July 2033|
|Ecology||17 September 2029||17 September 2029|
|Applied Physics||1 October 2033||1 October 2033|
|Biophysics||17 September 2029||17 September 2029|
|Optics and Optoelectronics||1 October 2033||1 October 2033|
|Geography||2 August 2033||2 August 2033|
|Geoinformatics and Cartography||15 May 2031||15 May 2031|
Below you will find information relevant to both procedure to grant associate professorship and the procedure to grant a full professorship at the Faculty of Science of the Palacký University (FS UP).
All the necessary forms are currently available only at the Czech version of this website.
- Completed and signed application with current date and contact information.
- Documents have to be submitted according to the following lists (lists in Czech below) with the current date, signature and always in duplicate, unless otherwise stated in the list:
- Podklady k zahájení habilitačního řízení
- Podklady k zahájení řízení ke jmenování profesorem
The individual chapters should be numbered according to the list. Each new chapter should begin on a separate sheet. Chapters should be delivered unbound in printed and electronic form (doc.; pdf. in case of scan). Associate professorship thesis in printed and bound form and in pdf.
- Palacký University in Olomouc has set a fee for candidates in the procedure to grant associate or full professorship for the administration connected with this procedure, in the amount of 6,000 CZK and 9,000 CZK, respectively (B3-17/4-RR, in Czech). The fee is payable within 30 days of the approval of the (Associate) Professorship Board by the Scholarly Board of the faculty and is non-refundable. Confirmation of payment has to be immediately submitted to the Science & Research (S&R) Department.
- In accordance with section 72, paragraph 7 of the Act, the Associate Professorship Board appoints three opponents of the associate professorship thesis. The opponent of the associate professorship thesis cannot be the co-author of the work or, in the case of a set of published works, the co-author of the part of the work, which is submitted by the candidate as a associate professorship thesis. The opponent will prepare a review within six weeks of receiving the request, in two signed copies and in electronic form (doc.) and send everything to the S&R Department. If the opponent is not a UP employee, an Agreement to complete a job is concluded with him/her. An integral part of the Agreement is an electronic Personal profile form (sent by the S&R Officer), which has to be completed, printed and signed and sent back to the S&R Department. Terms of the Agreement have to always be discussed in advance with the S&R officer.
- The opinion of the (Associate) Professorship Board, including the signatures of all its members will be delivered by the Chairman of the Board in two copies to the S&R Department (at least two weeks before the Scholarly Board meeting). The board's opinion (without signatures) has to be also delivered in electronic form (doc.).
- The procedure to grant associate or full professorship includes a lecture in front of the professional public and an (associate) professorship lecture at a meeting of the Schoarly Board.
- Any queries should be addressed to Bc. Barbora Krudencová from the S&R Department:
+420 585 634 155
Přírodovědecká fakulta, Univerzita Palackého v Olomouci, 17. listopadu 12, 779 00 Olomouc
- The (Associate) Professorship Board chooses one of the three topics proposed by the candidate as the topic of the lecture in front of the professional public. The topic should encompass a comprehensive area of professional interest of the candidate and it is necessary to process it in a way so that the wider professional public can be acquainted with it. After an introduction and acquainting attendants with the topic, the lecture should be also supplemented by a section in which the candidate uses his scientific results in the context of the processed topic (like examples demonstrating a certain phenomenon). The lecture is intended to demonstrate the pedagogical abilities of the candidate.
- The chairman of the (Associate) Professorship Board (or a member authorized by him) together with the candidate and his department will organize the lecture. It is possible to inform about the lecture by mass email. The candidate will supply the information about the lecture (date, place, title, keywords and annotation) to the Science & Research (S&R) officer, who will create the email and send it within the Faculty of Science (FS) UP.
- The candidate will process the topic into a presentation.
- The lecture with a presentation should last 35-45 minutes, followed by questions.
- The lecture must be attended by at least 3 members of the Scholarly Board of the faculty.
- The chairman of the (Associate) Professorship Board will prepare a report on this lecture and submits the signed report, including the signatures of the present members of the Schoarly Board, together with the attendance list, to the S&R Department at least 1 day before the meeting of the Scholarly Board.
- The Dean shall include the associate professorship lecture as well as the defense of associate professorship thesis or the full professorship lecture in the agenda of the meeting of the Scholarly Board of the faculty.
- The (Associate) Professorship Board chooses one of the three topics proposed by the candidate (Code of Procedure to Grant Associate or Full Professorships at Palacký University Olomouc) as the topic of the lecture in front of the Scholarly Board. The topic should differ from the topic of the lecture in front of the professional public. The candidate will create a short concise presentation on that topic with an emphasis on a summary of his/her significant scientific results (in the case of proceedings to grant associate professorship, especially the results presented in the associate professorship thesis). The lecture shall also include a short presentation of the candidate’s international cooperation and research projects (one slide). One or two slides should be dedicated to pedagogical activities and its connection with research, and another one to the candidate’s future visions. The lecture is intended to document the research activities of the candidate and his/her professional cooperation and projects. A commentary on linking research with pedagogical activities is expected. It is necessary to briefly mention the candidate’s research and teaching plans for the future.
- The lecture with a presentation of max. length 15 minutes is followed by answers to opponents’ questions (not included in 15 minutes, the opponents’ part applies only to the proceedings to grant associate professorship) with the opportunity for questions from members of the Scholarly Board and guests.
- The lecture is carried out according to a predetermined program of the meeting of the Scholarly Board. The candidate will bring the presentation recorded on his/her own USB flash drive.
- It is advisable to bring the most important publications/monographs to the lecture, which will be available for inspection by the members of the Scholarly Board during the meeting.
- Subsequently, the members of the Scholarly Board vote by secret ballot on the proposal to appoint the candidate as an associate professor/full professor in the relevant field. After a successful meeting in front of the Scholarly Board, a proposal for appointment as an associate professor/full professor is submitted to the UP Rectorate.
Current information on the initiated and concluded proceedings can be found only on the following Czech webites: