About

Faculty of Science, Palacký University Olomouc is a research-oriented faculty. It offers a wide range of Bachelor, Follow-up Master, and Doctoral study programmes in Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Ecology, Earth Sciences, including programmes preparing future teachers of natural sciences.

Most Faculty facilities including the dormitories and University cafeteria are located on a campus not far from the city centre. Biology study fields and research centres – Regional Centre of Advanced Materials and Technologies and Centre of the Region Haná for Biotechnological and Agricultural Research, are situated in Olomouc-Holice. Thanks to European funding and success in national grant competitions the Faculty has managed to build modern facilities with state-of-the-art equipment. An interactive museum Fort Science opened in 2015 and a Botanical Garden are essential parts of the Faculty.

For more information browse through the electronic version of this year´s brochure of the Faculty of Science with overall information on study fields, major accomplishments in research, leading experts in science, statistics of enrolled students and graduates, and much more.

Contact information

Faculty of Science, Palacký University Olomouc
17. listopadu 1192/12
771 46 Olomouc
phone: 585 634 060
fax: 585 634 002
e-mail: dekanat.prf@upol.cz

wiew map

Detailed identification data

Palacký University Olomouc

Business namePalacký University Olomouc
Abbreviated nameUP
Legal form of the entityPublic university
(pursuant to law no. 111/1998 Coll.)
Address | streetKřížkovského 511/8
Address | cityOlomouc
Address | postal code771 47
Address | countryCzech Republic
Telephone number+420 585 631 111
www addresswww.upol.cz

Faculty of Science

Part of UP | nameFaculty of Science
Abbreviation of part of UP | organizationPřF
Address | street17. listopadu 1192/12
Address | cityOlomouc
Addressa | postal code771 46
Address | countryCzech Republic
Telephone number+420 585 634 060
Fax+420 585 634 002
www addressprf.upol.cz
e-mail addressdekanat.prf@upol.cz
Registration number61989592
VAT numberCZ61989592
Entry in Commercial RegisterNot subject to entry to Commercial Register
Banks details
Bank code0100
Bank nameKomerční banka, a. s.
Account number19-1096330227/0100
International bank number of CZK account (IBAN)CZ0901000000191096330227
Number of EUR account43-3855090287/0100
International bank number of EUR account (IBAN)CZ9801000000433855090287
SWIFT codeKOMBCZPPxxx

Statistical data

Total number of students: 3458 (as of 30. 10. 2017)
Number of graduated in academic year 2016/2017: 785
Number of applications for academic year 2017/2018: 3835
Enrolled students: 1511
Number of study fields: 113
Total number of employees: 950
Average age of employees: 41

Major achievements

Faculty research staff is involved in implementation of a prestigious ERC grant project called Two-Dimensional Chemistry towards New Graphene Derivatives, the first one of its kind at Palacký University.

Pavel Hobza, the leading research capacity of Regional Center of Advanced Technologies and Materials as well as Department of Physical Chemistry appeared on the global list of Highly Cited Researchers in Chemistry for the third consecutive year in 2016.

According to international ranking Nature Index 2016 the study field of Chemistry of our Faculty was ranked no. 3 in the national competition after Academy of Sciences CR and Charles University.

In the U.S. News Best Global Universities Rankings 2016 the botanists and zoologists ranked 157th, chemists 297th, and physicists 314th in the world.

Faculty staff is very successful in applying for national as well as American or European patents and utility models.

History

Already while restoring Olomouc University in 1946, it was clear that teaching of natural sciences must be an essential part of Palacký University. Natural sciences were initially a part of a study at the Faculty of Education and Faculty of Arts UP. In 1953, the Faculty of Natural Sciences was established as a part of University of Education. In 1958, the Faculty has become one of the four faculties of the oldest Moravian University.

Individual disciplines have begun to systematically pursue scientific work and research as the equipment of individual departments improved. Significant organizational, personnel and material changes came in 1990s.

During more than sixty years of existence Faculty employees and students have worked and studied in many buildings in the city center and the suburbs. Since its founding until 1959, the Faculty was located on Křížkovského 10. After that it acquired a building on Třída Svobody 26, which originally served as a German state secondary school and teachers' institute. This remained the main building of the Faculty until 2009, when a new modern building on 17. listopadu 12 was built. In the 1990s an adjacent building on 17. listopadu 50, where the Joint Laboratory of Optics is located, was reconstructed. There is another essential part of Faculty facilities located on the suburbs of Olomouc. The Holice campus houses biological disciplines as well as two Excellence Centres  – the Centre of the Region Haná for Biotechnological and Agricultural Research and the Regional Centre of Advanced Technologies and Materials, which were built thanks to the Operational Programme Research and Development for Innovation.