Fischer scholarship - another piece to the jigsaw puzzle of Faculty´s internationalization
This academic year, the Faculty of Science accepted six foreign Ph.D. students into Fischer scholarship program, which will continue in the following years. Foreign students are guaranteed same conditions as Czech students. However, the scholarship allows them to pay a tuition fee of EUR 4000.
The program is subsidized from the Dean´s scholarship fund. The relevant departments will be able to find people interested in their field from around the world. This is obviously beneficial for all parties: the Faculty has created another block in building the international community; students of the Czech programs will get used to communicating in English; and individual research departments will have greater opportunities for establishing international scientific contacts.
Surely the foreign students themselves gain the greatest benefit from the program. They come from countries where studying free of charge certainly is not for granted, and therefore are highly motivated to succeed. The scholarship program is another important step in increasing the University´s international renown. Such a generous scholarship program is not common on the national level. It brings us closer to foreign universities where such scholarships are fairly common and international students make up much higher percentage of students.
Foreign students have of course studied at our Faculty and other domestic universities in previous years, but they have often been included in Czech study programs. However, if the development of our higher education moves in the right direction, granting scholarships to talented foreign students certainly is the right choice, which pays off in the long run. In order to succeed the departments must choose excellent students and we must acquire necessary experience in the sustainability of the program. Then we will have approximately ten percent of excellent foreign students in our Ph.D. study programs.
Vice-Dean for International Affairs
- ZETA program supports young generation of scientists
Technology Agency of the Czech Republic has announced the first public tender in research and experimental development for "ZETA program supporting applied research". The competition is going to focus on real cooperation of young researchers with institutes from the application sphere in all areas of applied research. The program emphasizes for instance that final theses were directed at topics, whose conclusions and outcomes can be further developed and used in applications.
The competition is open for minimum four-member teams of students of Master and doctoral degree programs of universities and young researchers under the age of 35. Each team should have a mentor older than 35 of relevant experience in academic sphere or application sphere. Project proposals should be submitted by May 4 at the Department of Science and Research to Mrs. Kratochvílová. For further information please write an email on: email@example.com.
- Jean-Marie Lehn Chemistry Award 2017
French Embassy along with Solvay will award the best scientific research papers of Czech Doctoral students in the field of Chemistry. Detailed information is available here. If you are interested in entering the competition, please contact the coordinator of the competition at Palacký University, Zdeněk Dvořák, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sanofi Pharmacy Award 2017
French Embassy along with Sanofi has announced a competition for the best scientific research paper of Czech Doctoral students and young Czech doctors in the field of pharmacy, including its biological and chemical aspects. Nominations for this award shall be sent to Vice-rector Jitka Ulrichová, email: email@example.com. Further information is available here.
- České hlavičky - contest for talented high school students
If you work with talented Czech high school students whose work deserves appreciation and recognition, please motivate them to participate in the competition. A professional jury composed of leading Czech scientists will select winners in five different categories including Natural Science, Economics, Computer Science, Practical Projects, Inventions or Technology and Innovation. This contest is once again a part of the EXCELLENCE Program announced by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports. The program is designed to support talented students and teachers who provide them with favorable conditions for their future development. Applications shall be submitted by June 30. If you have any questions, please send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Finish your studies on time if you want to take the state final examination!
The Department of Study reminds students, who want to take their state final exam or defend their final thesis in May or June of the obligation to conclude their studies at least three weeks before the date of their state final examination.
- We kindly request our students who will take their state final exams or defend their final thesis this academic year to check whether their learning results are recorded in Stag system. A list of exam dates in Stag will not be available without entering required data.
- For students of Doctoral study programs
Due to the absence of Mrs. Karásková from April 19 to May 17, the Faculty departments and students are kindly requested to report all planned events to Mrs. Karásková promptly. Mrs. Marcela Vykydalová will deal with urgent matters during the period of her absence.
- The opportunity of our students and graduates to vote in Faculty of the year contest 2017 ends today. You can share your opinions about quality of education and learning environment at our faculty here.
- The Fulbright Commission offers scholarships for postgraduate studies and research in the USA
Students and graduates who will have by September 1 completed at least a Bachelor's degree can apply for a government scholarship to continue their studies or research in the United States. The goal of the stay in the US may be completing an entire study program and obtaining a degree at an American university or just a one-year stay. The most common category is "visiting research student" which is designed for students who work on an independent research project, e.g. a dissertation. Potential candidates for a scholarship may come from all fields, with the exception of clinical medicine, MBA and LLM. Detailed information including registration form can be found here.
- Scholarships in Slovakia
Students of Master and Doctoral study programs as well as academics and researchers from the Czech Republic and some other selected countries, who currently work in the Czech Republic may apply for study, research and lecture scholarships and fellowships for academic year 2017/2018. The deadline for submitting applications is April 3 at 4:00 p.m. For further information please contact Karla Benešová, email: email@example.com.
- Preparation of the first phase of Communications Reconstruction including technical infrastructure has begun in Holice campus. Due to the end of dormancy period on March 31, felling trees is currently in progress in affected area. The overall concept of revitalization, including planting new greenery will be implemented from May 2017 to September 2018.
- Vacation in Jeseníky Mountains
Those interested in spending few days in the Faculty recreation and education center situated in Karlov pod Pradědem may now choose from a few interesting available dates listed below. You may also check further available capacities through the online booking system at www.karlov.upol.cz.
The location of Karlov is a great starting point for exploring the beauty of Hrubý and Nízký Jeseník mountains. The house accommodates up to 20 people in four quadruple and two double rooms, and is equipped with a shared kitchen and a living room with satellite TV and board games. University staff and students, their family members as well as people outside of the University may use the accommodation facilities. For further information please contact Mrs. Dagmar Petrželová, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Available dates: 28.4.-1.5., 16.-18.6., 23.-25.6., 30.6.-5.7.
- Would you like to recall the atmosphere of this year's Faculty of Science ball? Nothing could be simpler! All photographs from the event are available here. We thank all participants for absolutely fantastic atmosphere.
- Red Hat Czech Open House 2017
Do you want to learn more about cutting-edge technologies in open-source software? Do you want to know more about culture or career opportunities with Red Hat Czech? Take part in the Red Hat Czech Open House, which will be held in Brno, Purkyňova 111 on April 5. For more information, please click here.
The organizers prepared a series of lectures, workshops and coding competitions, during which you may test and enhance your knowledge.
- Department of Anesthesiology, Resuscitation and Intensive Care Medicine of the University Hospital in Olomouc cordially invites the Faculty staff and students to an organ gala concert which is organized in honor of Alfréd Hirsch, one of the founders of modern anesthesiology, not only in Olomouc, but also throughout the Czech Republic. The concert will be held on April 12 at 7:00 p.m. in the Church of Saint Maurice in Olomouc. An invitation in Czech is available here.
- A chamber music ensemble Stupkovo kvarteto cordially invites all classical music lovers to a concert of the quartet composed of Vladimír Žůrek (violin), Martina Fischerová (violin), Jiří Kobza (viola) and David Kostrhon (cello). The concert will be held today at 7:00 p.m. at the hall of the Mozarteum Archdiocesan Museum, Václavské náměstí 3. Program with a list of music compositions is available here, Olomouc audience will here two of them for the first time (opus Cherubini and Sinding). The admission is CZK 50.
- The next Newsletter will be released on April 13.
As of March 20, 2017 the following provisions of the Faculty of Science UP came into effect:
A-17/2-MPD - Methodology Guidelines for Setting the Level of indirect Costs in Order to Submit Proposals of Projects with Institutional Support and Targeted Support
As of March 16, 2017 Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports registered the following provisions of UP:
A-3/2017 - Tender Regulations of UP; this UP provision has come into effect on March 16, 2017.
A-3/2007 - VI. Amendment to Internal pay regulation of UP; this UP provision will come into effect on April 1, 2017.
As of March 17, 2017 the following provision of UP came into effect:
B3-17/1-MPK - Amendment no. 3 to Methodology Guidelines of the UP Bursar no. B3-14/6-MPK - Setting the Level of Indirect Costs in Order to Submit Proposals of Projects with Institutional and Targeted Support
As of March 20, 2017 the following provision of UP came into effect:
B3-17/4-RR - Determination of fees for operations connected with the habilitation procedure and appointment of professors procedure at UP
As of March 30, 2017 the following provision of UP came into effect:
B1-17/1-HN - Validation Order of UP